← Overview Database of Innovative Social Policies in Europe
Cheques Emploi: Employment vouchers (in Geneva called service vouchers).
Country of implementation
General short description of the innovation
The project fights against informal labour facilitating the access to social rights for workers in the personal service sector. Different not-for-profit organizations of the different cantons take in charge the administrative procedure to announce the employees to the competent authorities and facilitate the calculation of the contribution and their payment.
- general fiscal
Type of Policy
- private not for profit
- publicly mandated to non-state organisation
Duration of the policy
Geneva: 2004; Vaud: 2005; Fribourg: 2006; Neuchatel and Jura: mid-2000s ; Ticino: 2010; French speaking part of Berne (Jura Bernois): most likely 2013.
Scope of innovation
- Scope: structural
- Budgets: unknown
- Number of intended beneficiaries: unknown
- Spatial coverage: regional: mainly the French and Italian speaking part of Switzerland.
General description of (intended) objectives and strategies
The general objective is to fight against undeclared work by facilitating the declaration procedures, relieving the employer from this task.
Nature of the innovation-long-term perspective
moderate programmatic perspective
Type of innovation
- new policy, practice or measure
- others (Expanded social protection for domestic workers,)
Intended target group
Workers in the personal and household services sector.
Working age population
- educational level (low/medium/high) (low)
- employment situation (undeclared work)
- income level (low/medium/high) (low)
- main source of income: paid work
Actors involved in policy-making/implementation and/or evaluation
- private not-for-profit organisations (e.g. Third Sector organisation or NGO)
- regional government
Clarification of the role of various actors
The involved actors vary from Canton to Canton.
- others (Expanded social protection for domestic workers.)
Intended and unintended outcomes
in 2012, only in French speaking Switzerland, 1?2891 employers declared their employees through the programs
Clarification of outcomes in terms of impacting resilience and labour market inclusion
It has some impact on people with disabilities because in some Cantons the programs are run by people with disabilities.