← Overview Database of Innovative Social Policies in Europe
Federal Law on financial support for children day care facilities.
Country of implementation
General short description of the innovation
This law (in force since the 1st of February 2003) encourages the creation of places in day child care centers in order to allow parents to better reconcile family and work (or study). Funding is awarded to nurseries and after-school facilities which are either new or already exist but have significantly increased the number of places they offer. The federal subventions provided for this programm may be granted to private or public childcare institutions. /
Type of Policy
Duration of the policy
In force since the 1st of February 2003 for a limited duration of 8 years. Extended for 5 years in 2010, the program will be granted until the 31st of January 2015.
Scope of innovation
- Scope: temporary
- Budgets: 440 million CHF ? 361,99 million Euros - for the 12 years program
- Number of intended beneficiaries: unknown
- Spatial coverage: national
General description of (intended) objectives and strategies
Through financial assistance from the confederation to childcare facilities, it is sought to improve the conditions of reconcinling family and career and increase the quantity of offer of childcare facilities (the infrastructures created through the financial stimulus should be sustainable in order to exist also after the end of the financial support).
Nature of the innovation-short-term perspective
Type of innovation
- new policy, practice or measure
- services (number of childcare facilities)
Intended target group
Working age population
- care responsibilities (care for children [0-16/16+], for elderly or other family members) (chldren in pre-school age)
- employment situation (typical work)
- main source of income: paid work
Actors involved in policy-making/implementation and/or evaluation
- agency or national social insurance body
- central state
- private not-for-profit organisations (e.g. Third Sector organisation or NGO)
Clarification of the role of various actors
The subsidies are given only if child care facilities ask for.
- services (offer of childcare places (almost the total of the infrastructures are sustainable after the financial aid as well))
Did the innovation have any outcome related to job quantity?
almost half of interviewed parents stated that they would have had to drastically diminish or leave completely their work without the childcare facilitiesalmost half of interviewed parents stated that they would have had to drastically diminish or leave completely their work without the childcare facilities
Intended and unintended outcomes
): between 2003 and 2013 it has been estimated that the offer of childcare facilities has been increased by over 80%: the creation of 43?000 new places have been supported through the program.
Clarification of outcomes in terms of impacting resilience and labour market inclusion
Through the newly created childcare places, many people were able to reconcile work and family, staying in employment instead of giving up the job in order to look after the children.