← Overview Database of Innovative Social Policies in Europe
Childcare guarantee for 1-3 years old
Country of implementation
General short description of the innovation
Mothers and fathers have a legally enforceable entitlement to a place in a daycare facility for children under the age of three.
Type of Policy
Duration of the policy
Scope of innovation
- Budgets: The additional costs for expanding existing childcare facilities vary between the federal states (Bundesl?nder). The federal government supports the expansion of childcare facilities with a total of 5.4 billion Euro.
- Number of intended beneficiaries: Not applicable
- Spatial coverage: national
General description of (intended) objectives and strategies
The main objective is to ensure the freedom of parents to choose between different childcare opportunities. In addition, the childcare guarantee shall especially foster the labour market participation of mothers with children aged under three years.
Type of ideal-typical strategy for the innovation
- typical strategy for the innovation (optional; according to Obinger)-others (modernisation)
Type of innovation
- new form of policy-making
Intended target group
Women and men with children under the age of three years.
Working age population
- care responsibilities (care for children [0-16/16+], for elderly or other family members) (Care for children [0-14 months/28 months])
- main source of income: paid work
Actors involved in policy-making/implementation and/or evaluation
- making/implementation and/or evaluation-central state
- making/implementation and/or evaluation-municipal government
- making/implementation and/or evaluation-regional government
Clarification of the role of various actors
Federal states (regional governments) and municipal governments are mainly responsible for the provision with a sufficient amount of childcare facilities. The childcare guarantee, however, was given by the federal government of Germany (central state) putting political and public pressure on federal states and municipalities which have to incur the larger part of the expansion costs (2/3 vs1/3).
Did the innovation have any outcome related to job quantity?
The childcare guarantee shall especially foster the labour market participation of mothers with children aged under three years. The childcare guarantee shall especially foster the labour market participation of mothers with children aged under three years.